Wednesday, February 22, 2012

And I was "lent"-to-meet-'er

Lent started today and with it a million office chats about who is giving up what.

I would guess that chocolate is the most popular casualty followed closely by originality. However, I would count myself amongst "The Unoriginals" and am also giving up chocolate, but under a much broader umbrella, that of "anything which I know is bad for me".

"Anything which I know is bad for me" includes but is not limited to chocolate, crisps, chips, full fat anything, fun and a sense of perspective. Ultimately it's what most people would consider normal, healthy eating. Coming at it from a different angle, to me it is abnormal. To keep a track on myself, I'm going to list here what I have had and therefore what I consider "good for me". Probably worth putting here that alcohol doesn't count because it's not solid...

Wednesday (day 1 of Lent - say it in a Geordie accent, much more fun)

* Waitrose (get me) yoghurt and fruit compote
* Waitrose (see above) apple and kiwi drink

* Sainsburys (standards are slipping) veg pot
* A bread roll made of bread

* Pesto pasta (is the similar nature of the words deliberate? We should be told) with vegetables and some cheese on top (it's in the fridge so have to use it before it goes off. It didn't taste that good in the pancakes last night...)

Throw in a couple of Diet Cokes, a couple of coffees and some water; you have day 1. Steady without being spectacular and a far better diet than would otherwise have passed my gluttonous lips.

So what of hopes for day 2? Well, leftover "pesto pasta" (see above) for lunch and a homemade yoghurty compote thing for breakfast. Dinner tbc, but it will involve vegetables (which are good for you. Who knew?). I wonder if Jesus blogged about day 2 when he was in the wilderness, although let's be honest the bible is made up anyway so it was clearly the bit where the writers couldn't be bothered. "Oi, Mark, er I mean, Matthew, no, it's, er, John, wait, Luke, oh whatever your name is - let's go down the pub". That's what happened and if you don't believe me then we're both going to hell (which doesn't exist unless you believe in God in which case you're not going there so it's the biggest paradox known to man).

Meet you back here tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home