Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I spent Sunday on my own and ended up with blisters on my right hand. The boring cause was a shoe rack which literally (more of "literally" in a moment) involves inserting 47 screws into high quality pine effect timber. My hand finally gave up the ghost when the pain more than outweighed my need for bedroom tidiness, to which end I have now borrowed an electric screwdriver to finish off the job. Or at the very least, attach a drill bit and finish of the designer of my shoe rack.

Now - "literally"...

lit·er·al·ly adv.
In a literal manner; Really; actually: e.g. “There are people in the world who literally do not know how to boil water” (Craig Claiborne).


As the dictionary definition suggests, nay commands, the word describes something which is real and which is based wholly in fact. However, this isn't how some folk would choose to use the word. "I went to the theatre and was literally blown away". No you weren't. "That film was so scary, I was literally petrified". Erm, no... "You should have seen the weather; it was literally raining cats and dogs". Again, non...

This incorrect and extremely shoddy use of the word makes me literally tear my hair out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home