Thursday, March 15, 2007

Five and a half weeks to go

Miles in the Legs...

It sounds like a quaint village in Norfolk, but it's actually the Law. Now we're moving inexorably towards the marathon, that's the advice and very good it is too. Since Sunday I've "put" about 23 "miles" "in" "the" "legs" which should be around 45/50 by the weekend. I had been following a plan which advocated fartleks (see post below), speed training and the like, but it seems that distance might be the key. I hasten to add this is not solely my own idea, but a conclusion reached from speaking to those who have run the distance previously. I now admire these people and listen intently to every word they say.

I ran home yesterday from work, about 8.5 miles, which was actually quite nice as it was light when I left work and grew dark as I ran (no, it didn't then get light again before I reached home!). It's a very different type of run when there is a goal at the end of the miles, in this case my sofa and Father Ted (the tv series, not the local vicar on a soul-saving mission - I'm way beyond that I fear). The run becomes almost enjoyable, so I plan to perhaps run in tomorrow, though I need to get at least 12 miles under my belt, sorry, "in my legs" before the end of the weekend, something which may be difficult as I'm heading to Bristol for the weekend and by all reports it's a bit hilly there!

Then there's the Reading half next weekend and the Kingston Breakfast Run the weekend after to respectively add 13 and 16 miles to the imaginary totaliser I have for the miles in my legs, much like the ones they had/have on Blue Peter where you send in things like milk bottle tops or used carrots which would be placed in a massive see-through plastic container. Once full they would be able to buy a chair for a library or something. At least nowadays they have far more sense and raise money by fleecing children on premium rate phone lines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home