Monday, March 26, 2007

Halfway there...

So, now I know that I'm now at the stage where I will be able to get 13 and a bit miles round the marathon course and be able to start counting down the miles until the finish.

I ran the Reading half (see how I drop the word "marathon"? I am a proper runner...) this weekend in a time of 2.08:54, which I'm very pleased about as it means consistent sub-10 minute miles. On that basis, I will complete the marathon in 4.17:48... That's how it works, you double your half-marathon time and that gives you your time for full distance.

I'm torn because while I'm quite pleased with myself, knowing that nine months ago I couldn't run for a bus without getting out of breath, the smaller, more sensible part of my brain tells me however that I do actually have to run a lot further in just under four weeks time. I've often ignored this plain-speaking, logical voice in my head, but on this occasion, I'm listening hard. I'm now slightly more confident that I won't die during the race, but still doing all I can to ensure this doesn't happen, especially before I've had the chance to launch my running shoes into the Thames.

Plus points from yesterday:
  • Power Gels (they taste bad, but work good)
  • still having enough kick for a sprint finish down the home straight
  • finishing ahead of the two lads dressed as a camel (just)

Minus points:

  • running twice the distance very soon. Gulp...

2 Comments:

At 1:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done & a very decent time!
Fifi
PS - I ran 2 miles last week - it hurt!

 
At 7:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good work, wardster.... YOU CAN DO IT!(God, if I could, anyone can!!) Gem.xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home