Sunday, April 15, 2007

Less than seven days makes one weak

In theory, this time next week I will have completed my first Marathon, and whose to say it won't be my last?

Me, principally.

Now, I had managed to get through all my training without any major mishaps, the weather has generally been very kind and I haven't injured myself in any way. Until Friday...

I eschewed the charity curry lunch at work in favour of a five or six mile run just to end the week with a gentle jog and also because I was going for a curry in the evening, so I needed to empty the calorie cauldron a touch so that I could fill it up again later. Incidentally, said curry was very nice, but dreadful service. I've never seen such disdain on a face than when one of our party ordered mineral water!

Anyway, this run. I set off around Putney putting some hills in amongst the flat, running on the Common and on the pavements. I was feeling really good, so I decided to extend through Southfields and give myself the lovely incline on West Hill Road to finish. Sadly, this didn't quite pan out. Just after crossing the A3 towards Southfields, I spotted a couple of dogs playing and before I knew it one of them was running after me! Within seconds it was alongside and the next thing I knew, the sod had bitten me on the ankle. Much growling, teeth-baring and bum-wiggling ensued, but enough about my reaction.

I was clearly on the dog's territory and he was only puppy so he must have been scared, but he had bitten me hard enough to break the skin and I was in no mood to fall ill with DogBiteDisease or whatever you get from a canine nip. I wanted to discover just how rabid this dog was, so I found out to whom the dog belonged and knocked on their front door. The 14/15 year old girl who answered was naturally more concerned about her dog than me and instantly called both of her dogs in, stating that they shouldn't even have been outside. Then, she told me calmly that the Biting Hound of Putney Town should have a muzzle on when he's outside. I could have told her that myself...

So the long and short was that I got myself a Tetanus booster (£1.95, Tesco) and carried on the day getting various different reactions from those who heard my tale, although my secretary simply laughed at me before walking off and getting fatter. I suffered no adverse reaction you'll be thrilled to hear, although I had hoped that the bite would give me some super powers meaning I could run like a greyhound and I was envisaging finishing the Marathon in a record time for an Alsatian. Sadly, it seems that the only dog-like behaviour I have been afflicted with is that I now use the side of the road as a toilet.

Still, if it's good enough for Paula Radcliffe...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home